Friday, March 4, 2016

White Privilege In A Rolls Royce Wraith

The March 2016 issue of Car and Driver has a story that highlights the white privilege that Caucasians take for granted. It involves two of their staff writers as they travel through the Southeast U.S. in a $390,000 Rolls Royce Wraith. The prank is that they were going to pretend they lost their wallets and ID's and would use only the Rolls Royce as evidence of their good names in order to get free stuff.

As they drove through the country, they discovered that people did in fact trust the car to vouch for their characters. They wrote that, "Perfect strangers were invariably kind and charitable." The writers were able to receive free meals at restaurants, free gas, free coffee at Starbucks, and even a free hotel room in New Orleans. Some people said they would have offered their services free anyway since that was the hospitable thing to do.

Somehow I'm skeptical that people are that generous just because somebody drives up to their place of business in an expensive car. As I read this story, I kept thinking that they are getting away with this because the writers are white. Imagine if two black men were driving around in a Rolls Royce and tried to scam restaurants and hotels for free services pretending they had lost their wallets and ID's. You know what would have happened? Instead of being offered things gratis, I suspect people would probably have called the police first. How else would two black guys be driving around in a Rolls without any ID? But if two white people do it, it's just a harmless prank.

I have similar experience with what Car and Driver pulled off but from a minority's point of view. But the results were entirely different. I experienced the racism that can still be so prevalent around the country. This is not the burning cross racism as Chris Rock would say, but sorority racism. In other words, there is no "Whites Only" sign being displayed anywhere but the effects were there.

After high school, a good buddy of mine, who is white, and I took a summer road trip together. We traveled all over the Ozark mountains, enjoying the splendid views and lakes. At the end of the first day, we needed to stop to get a motel room. Since he was driving, I was the one who got out of the car to see if we could get a room. Each time I went inside, I was told that there were no more vacancies available even though there was no signs that said so. After about three tries, I told my friend that I was feeling tired and if he could go in to get a room. After five minutes he came out and tossed me the room key.

I never mentioned how much this hurt me. He seemed too oblivious to notice the ease in which he got a room and I couldn't. To him, it was probably just a coincidence. But that is just part of the white privilege that Caucasians assume is granted to everybody else. I don't know if people in that part of the country still act that way thirty years later, but it would be interesting if Car and Driver would do the same prank with two minority drivers instead. Let's see how many free Starbucks they can get before being thrown in the slammer by some present day Roscoe P. Coltrane.

No comments:

Post a Comment