Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What Rhymes With Bucket?

My preschooler son is busy learning new words. In my eyes he has an astonishing capacity to acquire new information. One game we like to play is finding words that rhyme. This is a very quick and efficient method for him to expand his vocabulary. Some words are easy and have lots of rhyming words. I'll ask him what rhymes with "car". He'll then go down the alphabet and gives me all the words that sound like car like bar, far, jar, mar, star, tar, etc.. If a word doesn't sound familiar he'll ask what it means. Most of the time I'll tell him there is no such word as "yar" but sometimes he'll learn a new word with this process.

The other day my wife and I were reading a story to him and came across the word "bucket". Out of habit I asked him what rhymes with bucket. He then proceeded down the alphabet: cucket, ducket... fucket. I gasped a little bit and looked at my wife. She looked back and quickly shook her head. Don't make a big fuss about it was her silent reply.

Children take a gleeful delight in doing things that upset their parents. When we tell our son not to jump on the sofa, he of course will find every opportunity to jump on the sofa. If we ask him not to bother his sister while she's doing her homework, he'll become inseparable from her workspace. So if we ask him not to say the word fucket, he would wind up repeating the word often enough to get expelled from his preschool. So now I've learned my lesson. No more word games with words that rhyme with bucket, or buck, or hit, or ham. Complicated, raising children is.

No comments:

Post a Comment